Re: gEDA-user: database driven component chooser - part II

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:00 +0000, Levente wrote:

> The footprint, value, description, etc. fields/attributes should be attached
> *after* placement of the symbol to keep it light. The filename of the symbols
> are unique. If a generation, or copying overwrites a symbol, there will be no
> data loss; and it is sure that the resulting symbol will be identical to the
> overwritten.
>
> It would be nice to somehow integrate the code with gschem.

Sorry, I've not been following in great detail how the database works.
Here are two thoughts though - neither, either or both might be useful.

1. Peter B wrote a lot of code to allow arbitrary guile functions, or
external programs to be used as parts library sources - so if you can
run an SQL query and uniquely indentify all components available - this
can be fed straight into a source for the components library.

2. If the database requires user-input when selecting an arbitrary
component (to avoid near infinite possibilities of resistor with
different value, footprint etc..) then there is not currently any
interface which would supports this straight away.

Its "probably" best done as an external gui program which we can
communicate with via D-Bus / stdio or some means. This would allow it to
suit your database without hard-coding input assumptions in gschem.
Alternatively - someone could propose a means for arbitrary guile /
external programs to specify a simple UI to gather required parameters.
(Like PCB does with its exporters).

Regards,

Peter C.