Re: gEDA-user: database driven component chooser - part II

Peter Clifton wrote:

> Its "probably" best done as an external gui program which we can
> communicate with via D-Bus / stdio or some means. This would allow it to
> suit your database without hard-coding input assumptions in gschem.

> Alternatively - someone could propose a means for arbitrary guile /
> external programs to specify a simple UI to gather required parameters.
> (Like PCB does with its exporters).

yes, please!  I started on this work a year or more back but got a bit
sidetracked.  I'm really happy with how it has worked out for us in PCB.
  I have just a few minor additions that I think would make lots of cool
stuff possible in gschem.

Note that gschem already has some functions to let you do some simple
GUI stuff from user scheme code.  The big one thats missing as far as
I'm concerned is the attribute[1] editor.  I think that will open the
door to full GUI support for various simulators and other backends in a
pretty simple way.  i.e. you'd have a scheme file which says that your
simulator does these N different types of analysis.  For each of them,
here are the options.  Then the attribute editor would take that
attribute list and automagically build a set of dialogs for setting
everything.

-Dan

[1] Someone please help me find a better name.  When I say attribute
editor I mean something analogous to the attribute editor dialog that
the PCB GUI HID's have and it has nothing to do with gschem attributes.