Re: gEDA-user: )(

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:50:37 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> IMO, this is _not_ cheating, it is a standard technique. The surface of
> a board is flat - so you render it as one quad, and texture map the
> surface.

> Any real structure you wanted to represent (board edges, vias etc..)
> would need more complex geometry.

Well, if I think of a 3D representation of a design, the pcb is just one
part of it. Components and the enclosing need to be added to make it a
useful tool, rather than just a fancy picture. It would allow checking
for mechanical constraints prior to manufacture.

Kicad seems to be (almost?) there:
	http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Kicad_3dviewer.jpg

But again, I am not advocating to go along this route. Export of 3D data
in some format that blender and decent mechanical CAD applications can
import, would be a better way.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak