Re: gEDA-user: net= attributes, symbols and schematics

On Oct 16, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:17:46 -0600, John Doty wrote:
>
>>> Then I could have a sheet just for power/gnd.
>>
>> That works. You just have to be careful about attributes like
>> footprint:
>> gnetlist will grab the first one it sees and ignore any others.
>
> Unfortunately, it is not that easy. gnetlist delivers the footprint of
> the first symbol of a given refdes in a gschem file. If this symbol
> does
> not contain a footprint, gnetlist does not output a footprint for this
> refdes at all -- no matter what value the footprint attribute of the
> other instances is.

True.

> Yes, this is exactly the pitfall that my patch fixed, whose acceptance
> you violently and successfully opposed.

For good reason: it fixed this *particular* symptom, but not the
general problem (the gnetlist front end filters data in ways the back
end cannot control). It does so in a way that complicates a proper
solution. My offer to collaborate on a proper solution still stands:
you've obviously penetrated the front end C code that I haven't been
able to comprehend. We can fix this together. The Scheme part is easy...

>> You can also use my pins2gsch script and just do pwr/gnd as a
>> table, no
>> drawing needed.
>>
>>> But I wondered about netlisting and refdes support. Bummer that
>>> renumbering doesn't preserve relationships.
>>
>> There are several renumbering scripts about, all with different
>> capabilities/weaknesses. Everybody expects renumbering to read
>> *their*
>> mind ;-)
>
> Who expects a renumber script to distribute symbols with a common
> refdes
> to several refdeses?

When you cut and paste bits of circuit from previous projects, you
may want your renumber script to heal the duplicate refdeses. Not
your scenario, but I've been there. And remember that there are usage
scenarios for gEDA that neither you nor I have yet imagined. That's
why a clean, simple, general approach is needed, not a bunch of
patches to particular problems in particular circumstances.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx