Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL testing

Hello Peter,

> > Thanks for explanation about backups. my_filename.pcb- did not existed
> > after the crash, I only had my original file. Crash happened shortly
> > after starting pcb.
>
> I'm confused now. I thought you said you lost 3 hours work - in which
> case, I'd have presumed the file would have been open long enough to
> drop a backup of some kind.

Sorry, I was thinking about something else - I wanted to write: shortly after running teardrops() :-).

> I do get both backup files, and PCB*.. backup files when I'm working
> with unsaved files.
>
> One thought I had was that the modification you made to the filename may
> have been appended to a current directory, producing a bad-filename,
> such as ~/foo//tmp/... or something.
>
> I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

I'm also getting all backups now - in /tmp/ as defined in globalconst.h. I have absolutely no idea what happened at that time (crash and no backup)... I've already tried running many other applications moving pcb windows between screens and it works right.

> > The program 'pcb' received an X Window System error.
> > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> > The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
> >   (Details: serial 35022 error_code 9 request_code 134 minor_code 9)
> >   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> >    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> >    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> >    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> >    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
> >
> > Is this pcb or my xorg installation?
>
> I don't get that, but it does sound to be related. The pinout window and
> DRC don't (as far as I remember) use the same code to render their
> little previews, but it is "similar".
>
> It is possible that something is not agreeing with you GL
> implementation / Xserver. Not to say it isn't a bug in PCB - just that
> it is one I can't reproduce.
>
> Testing these things on different cards / driver versions has helped to
> reveal problems in the past - although I'm fairly confident that most
> major bugs have been ironed out.
>
> Btw, to put it in context... some driver bugs I've triggered in the past
> (on my machine) have killed the Xserver completely! (Now fixed
> upstream!)

I will try it at work notebook on Monday and mail You the results. Thanks for the information!
Regards,
Michael W.