Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL testing

On Sat October 24 2009 02:52:16 pm Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 19:28 +0200, michalwd1979 wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm playing around with 3d version of pcb from git, and today I've
> > lost about 3 hours of my work because of a strange crash. I've clicked
> > in drc window and pcb exited leaving only a few "failed to create
> > pixmap" lines in terminal. No segfault no any other info. I couldn't
> > reproduce this, so I'm not sure what really happened.
>
> I'm not able to reproduce it either, nor is valgrind complaining when I
> run a DRC.

Actually, I can reproduce it consistently and constantly and it's been happening for a few months.
Updating to the latest git has never solved it either.

------- Error ---------
$ The program 'pcb' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadColor (invalid Colormap parameter)'.
-------------------------

I've been putting off telling you because I wanted to nail down the exact circumstances of when and
how but I just have not taken the time.  Yesterday I spent a little time with it and it seems to be
caused when the DRC window is resized.  Sometimes it does not crash if I have only a few DRC errors
but when it does crash then subsequent attempts to use DRC causes an immediate crash.  That part of
the problem may be caused by the crash leaving a zombie process of the d-bus.  So then I log out
and in and can run it again until it crashes.

More specifically:  I open a board (any board) and create some obvious drc violations then run
Connects -> Design Rule Checker.  If it doesn't crash immediately it creates a window approximately
300x300 pixels.  If I then resize from the bottom of the window frame it will crash.  If I resize
from the top it almost never does except for once.  Then I can resize from the right window frame
and it will then work normally.

However, if I run Window -> DRC Check I can resize the empty window all day long.  At least, right
up until I hit the Refresh button.  Then it crashes.

> Any idea how the system was doing at the time it crashed? Could it have
> been memory pressure which killed the process?

Not a chance on my machine. ;)  Well, I've only got 2 Gig but it's never been close to used up.

> How complex was the board? What kind of primitives did it contain?
> Lines, pads, vias, polygons?

I've attached the board I generally test with but it happens on every board I've used.

-Mark Stanley