Re: gEDA-user: pcb flip-sides

> <offtopic>
> To be exact, the Ben mode of png exporter, which is
> somewhat confusing IMVHO (why not in both modes?
> and what is --as-shown for, then?)
> </offtopic>

Go ahead and fix it :-)

--as-shown determines whether you use the layer stack as shown, or the
layer stack as defined by the pcb.  It's a "what's on top" setup.

> With my short-sighted mind I think I'd rather make
> --action-string "SwapSides" a legal option
> (currently, it segfaults with both GTK and Lesstif GUIs);

Because it's defined *in* lesstif and gtk, so they expect you'll only
call that for the gui.  It won't do what you want now.

> or (less intrusive and less elegant) add an action which would work
> for this particular case;

I object to adding things "for this particular case" without
considering future expansion or flexibility.  Adding something that
selects a top side, without considering arbitrary rotation and/or 3-D
view, is shortsighted.

> But now it is not put in the core: both Lesstif and GTK have their own
> flags for flip-x and flip-y; in it is only ShowSolderSide that is in the core;
> I don't see why this must not be extented into the future.

ShowSolderSide is special because it determines which smt pads are
drawn at which times, and which mask is drawn.  It doesn't control the
orientation of the board at all; that's done in the HID.

The core needs to know the stackup, but it doesn't need to know the
orientation.