gEDA-user: How to connect pads to anything?

Hello all,

yesterday I tried to replace a number of 2-pin jumpers (footprint
JUMPER2) with solder jumpers. gschem2pcb does it's duty, removes the old
footprints and provides the new ones. The rats nest is drawn correctly.

However if I try to connect these new footprints with anything, the
connection is simply ignored. Optimize the rats nest and the yellow
lines don't vanish, the number of missing connections is kept. The
autorouter doesn't do anything, als everything else is connected.
Instead I even get DRC errors stating the track and the pad are too
close *sigh*

After googling and reading the pcb handbook for the better part of a day
I'm stuck. Whatever I try, pads can't be connected to anything. Not on
the solder side, not on the top side, not to vias.

What's the secret?

The most simple footprint I tried looks that:

        Element["" "Solder Jumper on the solder side" "JUMPER_SOLDER" ""
        10 10 -5000 5000 0 100 ""]
        (
        	Pad[2200 -1500 2200 1500 3600 3200 2000 "1" "1" "square"]
        	Pad[-2200 -1500 -2200 1500 3600 3200 2000 "2" "2" "square"]
        	ElementLine [ ...
        )

I'm using the software packaged with Ubuntu 10.04 on AMD64, which
appears to be version 20091103.

BTW., the reason I started using gEDA is to develop electronics for
another open source project, RepRap. See
http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_7_Electronics .

Thanks,
Markus