Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

Stefan Salewski wrote:

> The user base of brlCAD is marginal
>> and will probably shrink even more, as more intuitive open
>> source CAD applications will become a viable alternative.
>>

> That may be true, but I am not really happy with the wording.
> Some kids may be tempted to do something like
> sed -i -e 's/brlCAD/gEDA-PCB/'

Well, the usability of geda-PCB is not that far off-road.
It is on par, or better than its main competitors kicad and
eagle (in my humble opinion).
That said, it is certainly true that geda looses potential
users because of the command line thing. It makes the newbie
expect the need for much more command line magic down the line.
In reality, you just issue simple commands a few times per
project. And you can avoid even these with xgsch2pcb or pcb-pull.

These two work-flows really should be advertised more -- In the
documentation, tutorial and in the articles in wikipedia.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel: