Re: gEDA-user: Final call for testers!

On 9/7/05, Colin Ager <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am somewhat confused by GTK. Sometimes it is "GTK", sometimes "gtk",
> sometimes "Gtk" sometimes "gtk+"and sometimes version names start as
> "gtk+-".

all the same thing.

> Various header and C files are in
> "/usr/share/Gtk_1.2/gtk+-1.2.10/gtk" but there was originally no
> "gtk-config" file anywhere.

That's a really odd way for your distribution to organize things. What
distribution is it?

> I printed out the old gtk-config file and
> the nearest I can find is "gtk-config.in" which seems to have come with
> gtk+-1.2.10 and be based on the old version.

gtk-config.in (or, more generally, any .in file) is a template that
gets filled in when you install the package. If you tell ./configure
to put the files in /opt/foo/bar/baz, that's the path that will be in
gtk-config.

> I believe the old gtk-config tells the compiler which cflags to use and
> which libraries are needed but I am afraid my current level of knowledge
> cannot sort out this mess :-(

You could reinstall GTK+ from source, but isn't that what Stuart's CD
was trying to do?

> Can you tell me a couple of file names that gerb needs to be able to
> compile so that I can check if they are present anywhere on the system?

well, there should be a header file called 'gtk.h' (no "+" here, since
some OSes won't allow that in paths), and probably libgtk.la.

--
- Charles Lepple