Re: gEDA-user: Spam: address harvesting from archives

Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
On 9/7/05, Steve Meier <smeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I havn't seen spam comming through the list server. I presume the issue

We're not talking about spam via the list; we're talking about
spammers who troll the list archives for e-mail addresses, which are
then sold to spammers who mail direct.

Can email addresses be automatically obfuscated at the list server side?

That is what is being proposed. :)

Just a clarification:

the addresses in cleartext in the archive are of the form 'arbitrary-reference-number@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'. So, if you're joe@xxxxxxx, the spammer might pick up an address like abcdef01.xyz@xxxxxxxx Whether or not you receive mail sent to abcdef01.xyz@xxxxxxx depends on how you or your ISP has set up Sendmail/whatever, so many of you may not be getting these spams.

Evan