Re: gEDA-user: Spam: address harvesting from archives

Ales,

We apreciate all the time you have put into this project. This is an issue bigger then just the geda list server and archives. It is a general list server problem. My time is also rather heavily used so my usual solution about issues like this is to pose the question out to otther it experts. Can you tell me what software the list server is running so that I can find if a suitable solution already exists?

Again thanks for all your efforts.

Steve Meier

Ales Hvezda wrote:

[snip]

I havn't seen spam comming through the list server. I presume the issue
is email addresses being included in the archives as well as being
broadcast through the standard list emails.

Can email addresses be automatically obfuscated at the list server side?

[ randomly responding to one of the messages in this thread ... ]

	Most of the addresses are obfuscated already, however there
are few domain names (note, we are not talking about e-mail addresses)
in plain text.

	Sure, it is fixable, but is it worth _my_ rather valuable
free time?  The answer to that would be a big resounding: "Absolutely NOT".
Why you ask?

* The damage is already done * The most obvious address are obfuscated already in current archives
* I have better things to do

	However, if somebody feels so strongly about this, then by
all means please provide me with a tested script which will go through
and modify all the html files to remove the plain text domain name without
breaking the archive.  The key points are *tested* and *without breaking*.

	Really sorry about my tone here, :( but I spend way too much
time on piddly administrative duties where my time would be better spent
fixing the software.  Better software or admin issues.  Pick any ONE.

								-Ales

PS. Please do not post to both lists, especially if it is not gEDA/EDA
   software related.  That does absolutely nothing but create more
   e-mail load for everybody.