Re: gEDA-user: GND and Vcc pin on IC 74245

GAF does allow symbols to have pins for the power connections or to have the power connections as hidden nets.

The problem often is is what voltage is Vcc or Vdd.

Why not make the symbols have a +5v or a +3.3v power net?

What about devices that Vcc could be any value .. say less then 12 Volts? For these we need a way to assign the values. We could have multiple symbols. We could use expossed pins there are a number of solutions available in gaf. I would prefer to have only 2 sets of symbols one which uses hidden nets that can be over ridden by an attribute and one set with expossed pins.

(point for discussion --- should this be on the developer list?)

This is where an attribute for Vcc for a device where the user could set the voltage (the net) might be a solution.

But.... on a lot of the high speed analog circuits I like to put an inductor followed by three capacitors before I connect to the power pin of the device.... using an over ride attribute would require me to name a lot of nets that I don't want to name. ok well for those devices I just put a pin for each of the power pins...

See the attached symbol for an Analog Devices AD8009 is an SO8 package. Pins 4 and 7 are the power pins. This is a 1 Ghz current feed back opamp. It is very important to filter the power going into pins 4 and 7. My point is gaf doesnt care to gaf a net is a net. Note that there are no hidden nets for power or ground.

Cheers,

Steve Meier

Ales Hvezda wrote:

Could someone explain why logic ICs must not have Vcc and GND pins?
I have never seen a good reason for this. What is wrong with having Vcc and GND pins - like any other pin?

In gEDA/gaf, ICs can have explicit power pins. The fact that they do not is just the way the gaf symbol library has evolved. Some people like it, other absolutely hate it. So, that's why it's very easy to create new parts which have the "right" features according to the beholder. :) This discussion is unfortunately religious.

								-Ales

v 20040111 1
L 200 800 200 0 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 800 400 200 800 3 0 0 0 -1 -1