Re: gEDA-user: how do I get diamond shaped dependent sources

On 9/12/05, Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, you can draw one in the symbol editor.  The easiest thing to do
is to get a source out of the spice directory which is close to what
you want, then do right mouse->down symbol, and then redraw the symbol
to your liking usign the graphical elements available in the toolbar.
Do edit->toggle attribute visibility and then give your dependent
source a DEVICE attribute which will be recognized by spice-sdb. When
you are done modifying the symbol, save it out under a new name.

Probably while you were writing this, I was reading:
http://www.geda.seul.org/docs/current/tutorials/gsch2pcb/tutorial.html

in which the author mentions making custom symbols.

So, here is what I did:

1. Made a .gEDA directory in my /home. Wonder why it was not made automatically when I started geda for the first time.

2. Made a directory ${HOME}/gaf/my-gschem-symbols.

3. Created ${HOME}/.gEDA/gafrc file and inserted this line in it:
(component-library "/home/<username>/gaf/my-gschem-symbols")

4. Copied the gEDA symbols to be modified to ~/gaf/my-gschem-symbols :
$> cp /usr/share/gEDA/sym/analog/voltage-3.sym hs-dvs-1.sym

5. Opened this symbols for editing:
$> gschem hs-dvs-1.sym
5.a Where I basically removed the circle and added my diamond, or box, (drew it using lines).
5.b I also  clicked on the "V?" symbols, pressed "ee" to edit it, and replaced it with the symbol I desired (E, F, G or H, as needed).

6. Saved the file. And when I opened my circuit in gschem, gschem reported that it had read my gafrc file and also listed my symbols directory and I was able to use the dependent source with the diamond shaped symbol.

So, by clicking on the figures, I was able to do what you described above, but wasn't looking for "DEVICE" attribute nor did I "down symbol"ed. I guess this means that the gEDA gui is quite intuitive once you get the hang of it.

thanks and regards,
->HS