Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

I see you guys are having a religious war about the java versus other languages, but I just wanted to point out this network simulation package written in java that blows away other network simulator packages in both runtime and memory footprint.  The other network simulator packages were written mostly in C.

Here is a link to that tool:  http://jist.ece.cornell.edu/

I am not a Java advocate, but I just wanted to say that it is possible to implement an application in Java that can perform better than similar applications in other programming languages.  I believe that proficiency in a language and familiarity with the programming environment makes a big difference in what you can do in performance.

I agree with the comment on having a cross platform toolkit, and java may not be the right language for the job, but it *would* provide a cross platform solution.  One problem I see with java, is you cannot guarantee the performance of the JVM across multiple platforms, which might be the bigger problem here.  Additionally, the porting effort would be enormous.  I am a big advocate of profiling the application, finding sections of code that are performance problems, and find better solutions to only this part of the code.

I guess my main point here is that Java is not as bad as the earlier posts have suggested.  Like anything else, tt takes a certain amount of proficiency in knowing how to use the tool.

Jason

On 9/20/05, Kovács Levente <Levente.Kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:14:34 -0400
Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Does it work on linux on
> other than x86?  NetBSD on sparc64?  FreeBSD on PowerPC?  I don't
> know

Well, it does, but NO JAVA please. So if someone comes this list and
say... "Why don't you use .NET?". Cross platform, etc... whatever...

No, I think we should not use Java, nor any other crapmaking stuff...

Levente

--
E-Mail: levente.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: ha5ogl

/"\
\ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
X   against HTML email & vCards
/ \     http://arc.pasp.de/

Have Fun, & Linux! 73 for all by HA5OGL.
This message was generated by Sylpheed.