Re: gEDA-user: Professional PCB help using geda?

Duncan Drennan wrote:

> I think John Luciani has pretty much demonstrated that this is
> possible with a bit of work. All that now needs to happen is for
> people to start adopting gEDA - but that is a whole different story,
> which requires strong marketing.

It's more than a little work.

I think marketing is needed to deal with the image oriented
way most people function in the world.  Such as asking for
professional help.  Help with an image.

Without some kind of image creation effort on our part, we are left with
the image of "good luck...hah!", and we will be lucky to get even small
engineering companies to adopt gEDA tools.

It's much more realistic to expect to adopt using pcb in a small company that
will train an employee to take work load off a founder than to
expect "consultant services" to flourish.

The incumbent CAD vendors have some
market share by having default history of libraries even if they are not good ones.
That's like the marketing of mediocrity Microsoft style...so how do
you get dominant market share in a community developed free tool?

You don't.  It's fragmented by its very nature.  It's the nature of circuit
designers and layout designers to develop personal best script driven methods
that are different a little form person to person -- that's the source
of the fragmented styles of CAD use.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1