Re: gEDA-user: Request for comments

On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:49 PM, andrewm wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Sure I can do a bug/feature request on this (after I
> read up how too).
>
> Just want to make sure that it is something wrong or
> something people want.
>
> Should the two pins same-named be treated as a single
> entity so they can be used like a jumper or should the
> connection have to be made manually in the schematic
> and the pins be named differently.

My feeling is that if pins are numbered the same then they are
electrically connected in the part.

an example is the 4 mounting pins on a SMA to PCB jack  the 4 outer
pins are electrically equal,  you can attach to any of them they are
the same net

PCB wanted all 4 pins connected...  but electrically only one needs
connection.

Some discussion could be put into this.

do we want sub pins for the net of pins
so on a SMA example

the center conductor would be pin 1
the 4 mounting pins would be pins 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4

so if the net specified connect to pin 2   it would make a electrical
connection to any of the pins and be done

if you specified that it was pin 2.1 it would connect to that sub pin.

if you specified 2.*  it would require connection on all sub pins.

this would provide for the most options in how to handle internally
connected pins with the same numbering.

thoughts gang?

Steve