Re: gEDA-user: Request for comments

Steven Michalske wrote:

>On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:49 PM, andrewm wrote:
>

>>Steve,
>>
>>Sure I can do a bug/feature request on this (after I
>>read up how too).
>>
>>Just want to make sure that it is something wrong or
>>something people want.
>>
>>Should the two pins same-named be treated as a single
>>entity so they can be used like a jumper or should the
>>connection have to be made manually in the schematic
>>and the pins be named differently.
>>

>My feeling is that if pins are numbered the same then they are
>electrically connected in the part.

True.

>an example is the 4 mounting pins on a SMA to PCB jack  the 4 outer
>pins are electrically equal,  you can attach to any of them they are
>the same net
>
>PCB wanted all 4 pins connected...  but electrically only one needs
>connection.

Not true.  I would never use this type of connector and only connect one
ground pin.  Add in the
parasitic inductance of the pins and then see if they are electrically
equal.

>Some discussion could be put into this.
>
>do we want sub pins for the net of pins
>so on a SMA example
>
>the center conductor would be pin 1
>the 4 mounting pins would be pins 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4

I don't see the necessity of this.  When I build parts with multiple
pins all of which I want connected
I give them different numbers.  There may be other types of examples
where this is needed but I've
never hit one.

thoughts from Joe T.