Re: gEDA-user: Using the power instead of fighting it

On Sep 29, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> Ok, stop it guys, this is just too painful.
>
>>> pieces just don't work together very well.  The mess of issues that
>>> arise between gschem and PCB are perhaps the most discussed, but all
>>> the parts I've had occasion to use feel more like a random
>>> collection
>>> of tools than a proper toolset - one size Phillips screwdriver, a
>>> couple of flat blades but none really small or really large, a
>>> hacksaw
>>> blade but you have to make your own frame for it...  The individual
>>> parts are good quality, but...
>
> I just lost a whole toolbox full of lovely (high quality) new tools.
>
> They were on board the wave-rig I've spent the last 3 years working
> on -
> when it capsized last week... oops. (I was also on board some minutes
> before it went over!).

Oh, sh*t. You have my sympathy. I know what it feels like.

> At some point the lost work and effort will dawn on me

Been there. I've had two launch vehicle failures wreck years of work.
But after awhile you realize that little has been lost, only
hardware. The thinking that went into it is the real treasure, and
that will inform your future work.

> Perhaps I'm still not that well adjusted on what matters though - I'm
> still more brothered about my lost tools than $scary_experience. ;)

Well, by my standards that doesn't make you maladjusted. I'd feel
pretty much the same. My close calls just become "old war stories".
It's my childrens' close calls that give me nightmares for awhile.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx