Re: gEDA-user: crosshair snaps to pins and pads... on locked component

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 16:11 -0400, Ethan Swint wrote:
> >> I just can't figure out why can't the "Crosshair snaps to pins/pads" work when
> >> the component is locked. As far as I know, locking a component is for to lock
> >> the position of the component.
> > What a coincidence.  We were just discussing that on IRC.
> >
> > I think snap-to-locked is OK, but I want locked *elements* to be
> > ignored.  I have one design that has a big LCD covering up all my
> > other parts, it's really hard to edit when every operation tags the
> > LCD instead of the parts under it.
> How about snapping to pads on the far side?  That can get pretty
> annoying for me.  I want to see pads on the other side so I know where I
> can place vias, but I don't want to snap to them.

On my various OpenGL branches, there is a patch which disables snapping
to pads on layers which you aren't on. (IE.. only snap to component side
pads if you are on a component copper layer).

I don't think it can be separated too easily from the other patches I
have to improve snapping heuristics. At some point I want to rationalise
the whole stack and see if those changes can be pushed to master.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,