Re: gEDA-user: PCB format wishlist

On 09/06/2010 04:54 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
Yes. Build higher-level objects by composition, not merely by
listing.
I was arguing for the opposite - separate the compositing from the
grouping, so that when you *do* group, you mostly just list.

Even internally to PCB, I'd want to keep "exemplar" composites as a
library called by reference, so if you edit one pin of an IC, by
default you end up editing all the same-shape pins (usually what you
want when you're changing drill or annulus, for example) with the
option to make the pin unique so you can change it separately.
Yes - but I'd also like to be prompted to answer the question 'Do you want this change to 1) apply to all instances of object X; 2) do you want to modify this one instance of object X to derive object Y with some inherited characteristics; or 3) do you want to make an independent object Z which starts out with parameters identical to X?'