Re: gEDA-user: Color silk layers in pcb

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 06:56 +0000, Ineiev wrote:
> On 9/6/10, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > confusing "non-copper" with "skip-drc" is
> > probably a bad idea.
>
> Thank you, your suggestion is really reasonable.
>
> I renamed the attribute to PCB::non-copper
> and corrected the variable name and comments accordingly;
> probably it does not make the patch perfect,
> but I have no better idea at the moment.

DJ, Dan, ...

Shall we / I push this? I think it looks good overall.

I might have put the attribute string "PCB::non-copper" in a #define
somewhere, but if the string is canonical, I guess it doesn't hurt to
place it explicitly in the code.

I'm slightly weary of the lack of immediate synchronisation between the
attribute being present and the (LayerType*)->non_copper flag, but I can
live with it ;) This means that the ->non_copper flag is only known to
be valid after a call to
reassign_non_copper_flags(), which is a static function only available
inside find.c. This effectively means the flag is ONLY useful inside
find.c at the moment.

I've was (a while back) working on a hook based attribute change
notification system for gschem, and perhaps in future, similar might be
applied to map attribute changes to other data-structure flags
immediately.

OR.. we could eventually optimise the attribute lookup code to be
"really fast", so as to avoid the need to keep a separate flag in the
layer data-structure. (Assuming "lookup_attrib" is too slow to use at
the moment??)

For a future patch:

It would be nice to move some the attribute lookup helper function out
of action.c, if attributes are to form a bigger role in PCB's future,
perhaps more functions will be created, and can live away from the
already bloated (and seemingly unrelated) action.c

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,