Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On 09.09.2010 11:54, Peter Clifton wrote:
I'm not sure I see the point of making the whole top-level window a
dedicated widget per-se, although the goal to encapsulate various state
variables sounds excellent.

I was never really sure what point to start sub-classing to make a new
widget. My acid test was usually whether that widget had useful
self-contained functionality which could be re-used in other places.

If sub-classing a widget is really in focus, then proposal of (partly) switching to C++ comes in mind.

I think making the whole main window a dedicated widget is perhaps a
step to far (or too early). There are probably other more useful
refactors, such as making a layer-selector widget, route-style selector
widget etc., and defining clean interfaces with those.

... command entry widget with history and auto completion ...

Frank.