Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

Windell H. Oskay wrote:

> Wow. These screenshots are incredible.
>
> Please excuse my naive question, but is this something that the rest of us
> can expect to see in PCB someday?

I tried to use the 3D view for regular work a few moths ago (medium density,
4-layer, analog layout). Turns out, it makes routing/placing more confusing
than pure 2D vertical view. It is difficult to tell the distance of objects
on different layers. After all, the physical screen is 2D an the layout
problem is almost 2D.

IMHO, the big advantage of Peters GL version is transparency. Plus, a few
extra features. For example, snap to the middle of pads rather than to the
end of the paths the pad is build from.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211