Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

> I tried to use the 3D view for regular work a few moths ago (medium
> density,
> 4-layer, analog layout). Turns out, it makes routing/placing more
> confusing
> than pure 2D vertical view. It is difficult to tell the distance of
> objects
> on different layers. After all, the physical screen is 2D an the layout
> problem is almost 2D.

I'd certainly advocate 2D routing and placement.

I do see two key reasons to include this function, though.  3D seems like
a *very* useful addition for inspection and review prior to taping out. (I
already like the transparency in gerbv.)  Second, it makes for excellent
screenshots which can attract new users to gEDA.