Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

     On 09/08/2011 03:24 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
     The good part of kicad was, that producing

     a PCB is easily possible even if you know nothing about the tool.
     But getting
     to more advanced features was hard to impossible within the time i
     tried it.
     Now comes the catch: When i was a teenager, i did an electronics
     project
     in high school. Not having access to the internet and not knowing
     anything
     about OSS (i dont think gEDA existed back then), i got a copy of
     Orcad for
     DOS (it was ancient even back then). But, within a day i was able to
     enter
     my first test schematics and produce something that looked like a
     PCB

   yes, OrCad was a very powerful eda tool and to a certain extent quite
   intuitive. I used this for many years back then.

     .
     .
     .

     Now the question is, why isn't there any OSS EDA tool out there that
     combines the availability of complex features with ease of use like
     Orcad did 20 years ago?

   I truly believe that you have to take the strict viewpoint of the
   hardware designers who will be the majority of users -- and not sit
   back as a programmer --- when it comes to laying out a reasonable User
   Interface for an EDA Tool. The OrCad tool was a prime example of this.

     If there were one, i'd be happy to throw money at it, to help it
     being
     developed.
                            Attila Kinali

   I also agree. I would be willing to do the same. I noticed somewhere on
   the geda website that some arrangement has been made already with
   Linuxfund.org to help toward this cause. I only see a mention of the
   PCB tool - and no mention of gSchem or others. I wonder if someone can
   clarify this here.
   I think this is one more reason to compile a concise list of features
   contained in this tool suite as an overview to help new or returning
   users to see the importance of this project.

   =Dan