Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

   ditto...although I only used it for one digital board.....

   On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Dan Roganti <[1]ragooman@xxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

       On 09/08/2011 03:24 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
       The good part of kicad was, that producing
       a PCB is easily possible even if you know nothing about the tool.
       But getting
       to more advanced features was hard to impossible within the time i
       tried it.
       Now comes the catch: When i was a teenager, i did an electronics
       project
       in high school. Not having access to the internet and not knowing
       anything
       about OSS (i dont think gEDA existed back then), i got a copy of
       Orcad for
       DOS (it was ancient even back then). But, within a day i was able
       enter
       my first test schematics and produce something that looked like a
       PCB

       yes, OrCad was a very powerful eda tool and to a certain extent
     quite
       intuitive. I used this for many years back then.

       .
       .
       .
       Now the question is, why isn't there any OSS EDA tool out there
   that
       combines the availability of complex features with ease of use like
       Orcad did 20 years ago?

       I truly believe that you have to take the strict viewpoint of the
       hardware designers who will be the majority of users -- and not
     sit
       back as a programmer --- when it comes to laying out a reasonable
     User
       Interface for an EDA Tool. The OrCad tool was a prime example of
     this.

       If there were one, i'd be happy to throw money at it, to help it
       being
       developed.
                              Attila Kinali

       I also agree. I would be willing to do the same. I noticed
     somewhere on
       the geda website that some arrangement has been made already with
       Linuxfund.org to help toward this cause. I only see a mention of
     the
       PCB tool - and no mention of gSchem or others. I wonder if someone
     can
       clarify this here.
       I think this is one more reason to compile a concise list of
     features
       contained in this tool suite as an overview to help new or
     returning
       users to see the importance of this project.
       =Dan