Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If anyone has some time for planning user interface changes, I have a few
> low level ideas of what is stopping development toward "complex
> features with ease of use".
>
> 1.  The double keystrokes in gschem need to become single
> strokes to match with every other UI anywhwere, so de facto standard key
> commands
> can be adopted for cut, paste, etc.

The double keystrokes in gschem are excellent UI.  Not as quick to
grasp at first, but very very good in practice.

When you use a CAD program like gschem one hand stays on the keyboard
and one on the mouse.   Using modifier keys (control, alt, shift,
meta, etc.) comfortably requires two hands on the keyboard.  So
switching to standard controls would cause us users to constantly move
one  hand from mouse to keyboard and back.

The standard control keys were designed for users of word processing
systems, where both hands are already on the keyboard (and unadorned
letter keys are already spoken for.)

Furthermore, the two-letter abbreviations allow commands to be grouped
together logically, which makes them easier to remember than whatever
random control keys happens to be available.

I think gschem has a pretty good interface.  I only wish PCB used the
same shortcuts instead of the random keys it has now.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--