Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

On 09/08/2011 11:05 AM, Mark Rages wrote:
The double keystrokes in gschem are excellent UI.  Not as quick to
grasp at first, but very very good in practice.
.
.
.
I think gschem has a pretty good interface.  I only wish PCB used the
same shortcuts instead of the random keys it has now.

Moving gschem to single strokes would allow better matching of it with PCB,
and all the rest, without stopping any
good keyboard-via-non-dominant-hand plus mouse-via-dominant-hand
computer driving.

[jg]I know -- I've done chip layout for pay -- about 28 months worth.

On 09/08/2011 11:32 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Any schematic will fit on any
> size page, gschem always scales to fit.

[jg]I know there is no "scale" in gschem -- but there is a mismatch of size apparent to
a new user because the default page border is out of whack with the symbols.

On 09/08/2011 11:32 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>   I see no
> need for a third GUI when there are no other buttons needed.

[jg]The function is merely suggested as a learning and reminder
device for new and infrequently returning users.

On 09/08/2011 11:32 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Use of cut and paste buffers needs to be invisible by default and
>> >  otional with a workaround that does not require knowing they exist.
> I almost never use cut and paste in PCB, and when I do (usually for
> moving the whole board around), I use the standard Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C,
> Ctrl-V keystrokes.

[jg]Great!  This one's already done.  It's been a couple months
 since I've done a layout.  I forgot.

On 09/08/2011 11:44 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Let's
> commission a multi-million dollar study of thousands of projects to
> see what the best size is.  Or just pick a new one;-)

[jg]It's mostly about getting some of these beginner things into the defaults.

On 09/08/2011 11:50 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:
> I certainly don't have a problem with the current state of software
>     development with gEDA. I just think it's all in the matter of how you
>     promote it. Since I returned to this, I go straight to the docs,
>     tutorials and examples on your website and such.
>     There's are still some things in the docs which could use some
>     elaboration for new users, beside returning users like myself -

[jg]I think DJs docs are fabulous too.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory