Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

On 09/08/2011 11:28 AM, asomers@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I find the two-letter commands to be very fast to use.
They're one of the main reasons why I prefer gschem to the expensive
proprietary program I used at my last job.  But maybe that's just
because I'm a vi user.;)

I think the double strokes could be kept as a settings option, but that
would make writing docs hard with two ways to do things.  We will always have
that problem to a degree, because key bindings are user configurable.
How do you teach it when you've changed all the keys to suit yourself?

Changing all the keys is common for the speed-layer-outers among us,
but I'd still like to see more commonality with mainstream for gschem.

Single stroke key commands leaves you with maybe 40 unshifted commands you can do...
Seems like enough to me.

I bet that after implementing a user configurability like PCB has, and someone, (me),
creating a set of commands that single stroke maps to the same action sequences
as the double stroke commands, and writing some tutorials, (me), the numbers of future users
and tutorials would go to the single stroke and double would be a few people.
The number of people using it one way or the other would be voted for with tutorials written
and promoted.

gschem is not as key binding configurable as PCB as far as I can tell.  Adding that would be a fine goal.

We should be able to "program" a gschem single key binding action sequence without a recompile that:  selects an object and
enables drag on mouse click, continues after mouse up in same mode where next mouse click selects and drags to move.
To get out of that mode you would go to the menus or click a button.

John
--
Ecosensory