Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

I find this instructive, as some of the "problems" you see are just
misunderstandings about how the tools work, indicating that our
documentation and/or tutorials need help?

> 2.  The scales of symbols and borders in existing libraries needs to
> be workable for A size or letter size paper "out of the box".  And
> the beginner mode should have a create new drawing button that
> encapsulates this.

There is no such fixed scale in gschem.  Any schematic will fit on any
size page, gschem always scales to fit.  My library has a range of
title boxes that are all proportioned the same but various sizes
relative to the parts, I just pick the one that fits around the
circuit.

> 3.  A tool manager could be the place for some of this new function.
> A tool manager that "integrates" the separate tools and serves to
> reinforce a pcb development work flow as a memory aid and speed tool
> for infrequent users.

My flow is to run gschem and pcb, and use pcb's importer.  I see no
need for a third GUI when there are no other buttons needed.

> create traces all with the mouse,
> place parts all with the mouse,
> move parts with mouse and a modifier key,
> drag traces.
>
> Use of cut and paste buffers needs to be invisible by default and
> otional with a workaround that does not require knowing they exist.

I almost never use cut and paste in PCB, and when I do (usually for
moving the whole board around), I use the standard Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C,
Ctrl-V keystrokes.