Re: gEDA-user: Electromagnetic bike

On 9/8/11 11:26 PM, Rob Butts wrote:
    So if I have an electromagnetic and I hold it next to the spinning
    metal disc as I increase the intensity of the magnetic field the metal
    disc should be harder to spin?

  Exactly, yes.  (please forgive me for jumping in)

    Define conductive? The eddy current breaks says non-ferromagnetic which
    means to me not having any magnetic properties like aluminum.

The resistance unit on an exercise bike that I recently disassembled used a pot-metal flywheel with a "tire" of copper around it. This tire was perhaps 1/8" thick. The adjustable brake consists of a rigid, arc-shaped metal strip, anchored with a hinge at one and, and movable by a spring-loaded lead screw at the other end. This was placed close to the flywheel, and turning the leadscrew moves it closer to or farther away from it. The metal arc had a handful of large permanent magnets, arranged in series, glued to it.

  The tire became quite warm when in use.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire