Re: gEDA-user: Electromagnetic bike

On Sep 9, 2011, at 5:29 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> If you're after significant resistance, I would go for a copper disk,
> about 5mm or thicker, with strong magnets - either an electromagnet on
> an iron core - placed quite close (within a few millimetres) of the
> spinning disk, OR - some neodymium hard-disk magnets (for example).
>
> You could use an aluminim disk (much cheaper, and easier to obtain I'd
> imagine) - but I would up the thickness.

The torque will fall off at low speed, when the magnetic diffusion depth exceeds the thickness of the disk. The diffusion depth is given by:

sqrt(dm*t)

where dm is the magnetic diffusion coefficient, about 130 cm^2/s for Cu, 230 cm^2/s for Al. The time parameter, t, is essentially the time a point on the disk remains in the vicinity of the magnet.

This is, of course, just dimensional analysis: a detailed model of the field configuration is needed if you need to be more quantitative.

The same physics leads to the concept of "skin depth".

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx