[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
X, new problems.
On 7 Feb 1999 email@example.com wrote:
> > I am using the Red Hat 5.2 errata packages for XFree86 220.127.116.11.
> Did you apply the upgrades by hand? Is it the same server than
> before? The messages point that one of the symlinks leading to the
> real X server is pointing into thin air.
I got it working. But, two new problems. The scoop:
0. I use plain old generic VGA color card & monitor. I have the VGA16
server. So, I thought, that can't be it.
1. I checked the Indy web site and, thanks to Donovan's categorizing
of the ftp repository, noticed XFree86-xfs is not listed as a X server
but as a basic X package. Guessing that means I needed it I got it
from a RedHat mirror somewhere. 18.104.22.168 version.
2. I didn't mention before, maybe should have, that Xconfigurator
showed up during installation in the Unresolved Dependencies screen
with no recommendation.
Well, when getting XFree86-xfs, I noticed a newer Xconfigurator, 3.89.
So, I got that.
3. Tried the install again.
No Unresolved Dependencies screen.
Xconfigurator 3.89 asked me lots of questions.
** But, not about keyboard mapping or screen size in pixels.
See below, please.
4. Did reboot, created user acct., logged in as user, entered: restart
Well, it worked, but.
Two new problems (had these with RH 5.1, also):
1. X/KDE did not detect/ask/autoconfigure the keyboard mapping
to what I had selected during the installation.
2. The mouse cursor would go off screen right & bottom, causing scrolling
horizontally & vertically a bit. In other words, it's thinking I have a
bigger screen than the 640x480. It should have known/asked what size, in
pixels, my screen is.
Thanks for your help and quick fixes
(I don't reply to everything right away, a lot of work.
But, I do read them all, and they have been helpful
and well thought out. I'm concentrating, though,
on getting Indy working to my liking.
It's coming along.),