Re: EmacsSpeak

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > > That is why it will be difficult for me to work on Emacspeak.  But I
> > > will accept an RPM done by someone else.  :-)
> >
> > The original RPMS install seamlessly and edit scripts to add
> > themselves in nicely.  In other words they behave like good Indi
> > RPMS.  I am hardpresed to think of what to improve :).
> >
> > There is a good excuse for making an exception in this case.
> > It's called "Accessibility options".  Even Windows NT 5 has a
> > speech mode ( narrator ) built in.  Sure it doesn't give much
> > useful information and my girlfriend wrote a 2 page bug report
> > ( I am a MS BETA tester too :) explaining how to make it useful.
> >

> If people begin writing NT bug reports on paper then there will be no
> trees on Earth.  :-)

She wrote it in WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS ( That's what's on her
486 Laptop and it gets along nicely with her Double-talk ).  That's
how I got the page count.  I converted it to ASCII and attached it
to EMail.  In all fairness NT5/W2k is BETA so bugs are expected.
If they were to ship it this year as planed that would be a tragedy.
( I support PCs and Networks for a Living and money aside, All
nightdress are no fun ).

BTW : In related news I just got email that the March BETAs won't
make it out.  Apparently they have "technical difficulties"
( My guess ... It won't even compile anymore ).

> > EMacspeak however she finds useful today and will take the
> > months  ( perhaps years ) to learn Emacs' arcane commands so
> > that she can teach it as a class to other blind people.
> >

> Emacs is not arcane.  It is very intuitive.  For instance CTRL-X-F
> means open an X File.  The ones you find in Mulder' and Sculley'
> office.  :-)

I stand corrected :).

The good thing about it is that almost everything can be done with
2 to 4 keystrokes.  No pull down menues needed.  I keep wondering
if it was actually designed by RMS or his blind pal.
It's a major pain for me and I may never learn it.  Thus becoming
a unique specimen.  A Techy who doesn't use Emacs with a wife who
dose ( The revers of the norm ).