Re: Help on Installing Independence

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Dinos Kouroushaklis wrote:
> Hi there again.
>
> I have installed RedHat 6.1 on one machine have managed to mount the
> relaxed ISO with the Independence files on it using the command
> 'mount -t vfat /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom'. I then proceeded to copy everything
> under /mnt/cdrom/Indy to /usr/Indy and then created the following symbolic
> links ln -s /usr/Indy /RedHat , ln -s /usr/Indy /indy, ln -s /usr/Indy /indy.
> /usr was hda5. I then rebooted the machine with the boot disk in drive a and
> started a hard disk installation and picked as the partition which had the
> Indy distribution hda5 and the installation started to proceed. It then went
> on in checking the available packages and came up with the following error:
> "Comps file is not version 0.1 as expected." Any subsequent trials to install
> were unsuccessful.
>
> So how can I proceed now? What is this error above?

I don't no if this is what Jean would suggest, but it has worked for me
in the past. Go to /usr/Indy/base/comps (I am assuming this is your
directory structure) and edit the comps file. At the very top of the
file there will be a number, change the number to 0.1 and restart the
install. I will warn you though, after you do this the installer will
almost certinly complain about problems with the comps file not being
right. Just tell it to install anyway and it will proceed.

This might mess up some of the package selections if you are trying to
install a certin type of install such as home station, but in my case I
was installing everything anyway so I did not mind.

Thats my solution Dinos.
--
R.G. Mayhue