Re: Help on Installing Independence

At 01:29 рм 25/2/2000 +0100, you wrote:

> > > install

> > >The comps file is what lists 'components'.  When you ask for a
> > >component like networking the install will look into this to know not
> > >only the primary packages affected but also the software like the libc
> > >who is needed by the primary ones and so on.
> > >
> > >What is happenning is that you are using an installer (6.1) with a
> > >differnet distribution so the foarmat of the comps file is not what is
> > >expected by the parser (6.0).
> >
> > I tend to disagree with "you are using an installer (6.1)" since I have
> > downloaded the boot disk from the url
> > ftp://ftp2.seul.org/independence/Indy-6.0-0.8/images/boot.img .
> > I could be wrong though.
>
>I deduced this from the fact you mentionned 6.1.  As the boot disk it
>only has a tiny fraction of the installer.  The remainder is loaded
>from the installtion media during installation.
>
>I will try to have a look at this comps file just in case.

I have taken a look at the comps file and it says version 0.1 so it could
be that something else is wrong.
Can someone point me to a location with the correct boot image for version
Indy-6.0-0.8?

Would it be better if I install RedHat 6.0 and then try to Install
Indy-6.0-0.8 using my existing data?

> > I will try the solution provided by R.G. Mayhue
> > "edit the /usr/Indy/base/comps file. At the very top of the
> > file there will be a number, change the number to 0.1 and restart the
> > install."
> > and get back to you.
> >
> > After I am done installing can we do a page explaining to the absolute
> newbie
> > how to do it on their own? Maybe I can do this?
> >
> > Hey Jean what do you think?
>
>Of course I agree.  I am far too conscious of the many deficiencies in
>Indy, the worst being documentation.

Lets get my installation working and I can write about how to do this thing.

I would say that one way to do this is
0. Have a functioning Windows box
1. download Independence.tgz,
2. Unzip Independence.tgz
3. create RPMS directory in Indy directory
4. download contents of RPMS directories
5. defrag Win9x machine
6. use fips or ranish to partition hard disk
7. create boot disk using rawrite
8. create dos/win boot disk in case something goes wrong fith fdisk so we
can run 'fdisk /mbr' and be able to boot as before
9. reboot machine with linux boot disk in floppy
10. start hard disk installation
11. create indy-linux emergency boot diskette
12. start using machine in dual boot mode (Win9x/Linux) using lilo as the
boot loader

Have I tried it yet? NO!

later! dinos