Re: [kidsgames] Story based games???

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Steve Baker wrote:

> There are a lot of us out there writing games starring Tux the Linux
> Penguin.
>
> He's cute, cuddly, has 'name recognition' and best of all, he's free!
>
> Also, what other character could you pick for which you can buy your
> kids actual huggable versions?

You can invent a dozen names,... freely too !
Bardigna, Glowngling, Blywells, Jartan, Garggamio

> ...and yes, I'd use C++ too.  It's the right mix of expressive power

It's the right mix between pointer nightmares and perl readability.

> and ability to get low down to the hardware - it's the language for

Good idea, let's programm DMA channels for implementing a story
game engine. Or let's optimize for Pentium III, when we have
to decide if the wolf is near enough to eat the pig in the wood.

> experienced pragmatists who actually want to get on and DO SOMETHING.

Ha,ha, ... funny, C++ is the language of the newbies, those who
doesn't know Python yet! Everyone who has tasted python can't
stand C++ anymore.

> There are times when Python is appropriate (when a program needs
> on-the-fly scripting at runtime for example)

Python is suitable whenever we don't need heavy CPU , like graphics.
And even in those cases we can wrap the critical parts in C, and
make them python libraries.

>- and times when
> Java works best (when the program has to be run over the web).

Java should be banned in the Linux world. Sun's Solaris is
a competitor of Linux, and Java releases will always be a version
ahead in Solaris than in Linux. When blackdown gets Java 2, then
Solaris will have Java 3.

And the language itself,...., well Java is a cast-oriented language.
The minimum expression power of OO languages.

And yes, C++ is very fast when handling pointers , the question is
: What for do we need handle pointers ? When we got to the real
stuff, we handle objects, lists and tuples and at this point C++
is not so much fast. And its strongly typed-flavour avoids a free
expression of list, objects and tuples.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm

  "Boy, life takes a long time to live." -- Steven Wright

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org