Re: artists

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Adam D. Moss wrote:

>Anarky wrote:
>> I was gonna ask if there's a way of making a linux doing artwork in my
>> favorite OS ...
>
>You didn't say what your favourite OS is. ;)
>
>Assuming Linux, there's always trusty GIMP for the 2d
>art/textures.

>For 3d modelling, AC3D is still lovely for static/simple
>models (it's easy to use, to the point of being fun), and
>Blender is a very professional and powerful (unfortunately also
>very hard to learn) free package for more complicated models
>and animation.

AC3D is quite fun yes, but it has its limitations, and those limitations
come up pretty fast even for "coder models". I can't do good graphics nor
good models, but I can model a house or simple stuff if I can find
suitable textures. However the texture handling in AC3D is pretty limited
and I couldn't even find a way to use only parts of a texture for a
surface or specify some kind of tiling etc. It was always "one texture
fits one surface", at least in the version I used. Yes, I did get the
registered version, it was cheap enough not to dent any holes in my
economy. :)

Blender on the other hand... Well, you need to try to learn to use it for
a few months before you can even get a single box plotted out without
getting lost. It may be capable, but boy does the UI suck. The UI may be
good once you know it, but boy does it suck for the occasional little
house or tank model. I remember not even finding out how to save my model
(there was of course no menus, no normal keybindings, nothing that was
sane with respect to modern usability), and ended up quitting using
KILL... Once you find out how to save and load, you have to save you model
all the time so that you have something to revert to when the inevitable
"what does this app do now, how can I get it back to normal?" comes along
and foces you to KILL it.

So flame me.

--
  +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
                                        -- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather