Re: The future of C/C++

"Mark Collins" <me@thisisnurgle.org.uk> writes:

> You forgot one important thing:
> Java has no concept of pointers...

Thats wrong.  Java has references, which is nearly the same as
pointers in C, the only thing you can't do with them is funny pointer
arithmetic.

BTW. references in C++ are a completly different thing than
references in Java.

> I was chatting to an "experienced" Java programmer once, and he had
> never even heard of a pointer vefore, and couldn't even grasp the
> basic concept of them until I demonstrated the use of them (passing
> a pointer to a struct and changing the struct in a function_

You can do excacly the same thing with references in Java.

--
ICQ: 59461927                                      http://www.pingus.cx |
Ingo Ruhnke <grumbel@gmx.de>           http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/ |