Re: Business models

Mark Collins wrote:

> A system that would work with online games is a central registration server
> and a per-license key. 2 keys can't play at the same time. The server would
> require all connections to have a key, and if 2 identical keys are
> present/invalid key, it doesn't let the user play.
>
> Hostile, I know, but it could work to some extent.

Half-Life uses this system through WON net. Each player has a key when
they buy the game which is entered when you install the game. When you
play online the client checks with WON net if you are eligible to play
or not, using the key.

It hasn't stopped people from buying Half-Life licences to play
Counter-Strike and Team Fortress Classic.