Re: Weird behavior of my server

Michael Holstein wrote:
>> Okay, I just tried out a different orport and now the server starts
>> up. So somehow either port 443 is blocked already by something else or
>> it's because the permission is denied (since it's a blank Ubuntu I
>> guess it's the permission thing). Anything I can do about it?
>
> "netstat -apn |grep 443" (as root)
> "lsof |grep 443" (as root)
>
> either one will tell you what process is binding to 443. My guess is
> Apache. Try "killall httpd" (as root) and then try again. Also try (path
> might vary) "/etc/rc.d/rc.httpd stop"
>
> ~Mike.

In Ubuntu, stopping Apache is done by :

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 stop

or...

From the System menu, select Services. (Enter your password if asked.) Uncheck
"Web Server (apache2)".

As another note, the root user is disabled by default. The correct way to
perform administrative functions is from "sudo" or the graphical interface.

--
Philippe Gauthier <philippe.gauthier@xxxxxxxxx>