Re: [tor-talk] TBB browser without Tor/Vidalia

For example,

if you decompress tor-browser-versn#_en-US.exe or zip file using
decompressing software like, 7-zip, in a folder named "TBB_versn#"
(inside C:\PortableApps\ folder) then inside that "TBB_versn#"
folder you should see, one sub-folder, named:

Tor Browser

Then if you go inside that "Tor Browser" folder, you will see these
below sub-folders:

FirefoxPortable
Docs
Data
App

- - - - - -

Create a new folder-structure like this:

C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor Browser\

- - - - - -

Then copy that "FirefoxPortable" from
C:\PortableApps\TBB_versn#\Tor Browser\ folder, into above new
folder-structure.

- - - - - -

Obtain last stable release of "Firefox Portable" from the
portableapps.com site, and install inside "C:\PortableApps\" folder.

Copy the "FirefoxPortable.exe" file from
"C:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable\" into below folder location:
C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\

Create a shortcut-link of below .exe file on your windows Desktop:

C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe

Rename the shortcut in your desktop, into "Firefox_TBB_02", or
"Firefox TBB 02", so its easier to understand what it is.

- - - - - -

Open the below file for editing:

C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.ini

find and change the below line, from:

FirefoxExecutable=firefox.exe

into this:

FirefoxExecutable=tbb-firefox.exe

- - - - - -

So then, if you run the shortcut-link on your Desktop, then you can
START the FIREFOX, that you copied from last TBB.

- - - - - -

Another optional way (means, you do not have to do these steps,
unless you want to test this process out) to start the Firefox from
TBB_02 is to do these:

Create a TXT file inside below folder location:

C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor Browser\

then rename it to : Start_TBB_Firefox.cmd

then open Start_TBB_Firefox.cmd it for edit, and add below one
command-line:

@"C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor
Browser\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox\tbb-firefox.exe"
/D"C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\" -profile
"C:\PortableApps\TBB_02\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile"
-no-remote

so then, that batch script file "Start_TBB_Firefox.cmd" can also be
used to start TBB firefox.

- - - - - -

After you start Firefox any of the above way, you will have to make
sure, the network-settings are properly set or not. If you are using
default TBB, (and current default TBB uses port 9150 as socks5
port), so that is/port what should be shown inside Network Settings,
and inside Torbutton, if not, use custom settings and force it to
use 127.0.0.1:9150 and socks5 proxy.

And if you have firewall/security software, then make sure
tbb-firefox.exe which is inside TBB_02 folder, can only connect
outbound with port 9150, (and also allow tbb-firefox.exe to connect
with any local port of local loopback address (127.0.0.1) only).
tbb-firefox should not be allowed to connect with any internet
server or with any dns-server, (neither locally or which is in
internet).

Using TBB-Firefox copied out of last+latest TBB bundle is better,
than using "Portable Firefox" or full "Firefox", as it is already
pre-configured with many anonymity related tweaks.  But make sure
TBB-firefox's various internal and extension settings are really set
onto protect your Anonymity and Privacy, first, ... rather than
comfortableness or ease-of-use.  Anonymity and Privacy is more
important than any other advantages.  or else go use something else.

-- Bright Star.

Received from Gerardo, on 2013-08-14 12:25 AM: