Re: [tor-talk] Fox News bans my Tor Browser

On 1/17/2015 3:41 PM, l.m wrote:
"Joe Btfsplk" wrote:

Just one example:  Say,  https://ixquick.com/ (or Startpage), requires a
captcha.  Getting a new identity *often* doesn't remove the captcha
requirement - but sometimes does.
I started looking at possible reasons why.
From what I've seen on many sites, including Ixquick / Startpage, is their presentation of captchas is VERY much related to the specific IP and / or the specific exit relay country. Once those are changed (manually - by me) to say, 1) an IPa (or range) that isn't on some black list - or ones they've just had more than usual problems with, in the past, or
2) a country they don't have a lot of problems from,
they don't present captchas. Those captchas *require* JS, so you must enable, even if want to solve the captcha.
On MANY sites, even w/ JS enabled, the *captchas don't work.*
Upshot? By waiting around for Tor / TBB to change the circuit by itself, you may wait a hell of a long time, to get on a site, that (often) works fine w/ TBB, if you use the "right" country & a clean IPa.

So what do you do, especially when the captcha doesn't work (assuming you don't mind enabling JS)? Wait for 10, 30, 50 min., for Tor to - maybe - build a circuit, using a country (or IP range) that a site hasn't "blacklisted?" But, there's no guarantee (I've seen) that Tor will ever build a circuit any time soon, that doesn't use a country that's objectionable to the site.

Again, unless I just decide to wait hours, days to connect to a site that's balking at a specific exit relay country (or IP range), I just manually close the circuit, until it stops using eastern european exits, etc. Then the sites usually connect fine. I really don't want to have to do that, but unless I want to wait forever to connect to some sites, it's the only way I've found.

Many of the sites don't give captchas, or any message, when they see a country or IP they don't like.