Re: [tor-talk] Escape NSA just to enter commercial surveillance?

On 01/16/2016 01:48 PM, juan wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 23:34:00 -0700
> Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 01/15/2016 01:11 PM, juan wrote:

<SNIP>

>>> 	...and using the bittorrent network is more risky than
>>> logging into NSA-Facebook.
>>
>> That's debatable. It depends on what you're doing on Facebook.
>
> 	Well, I'm thinking about typical use cases like posting
> 	picutres of cats =)
>
> 	Posting anything more outrageous, like a pair of tits, is a
> 	crime punishable by the facebook police.

I was think more like ISIS crap.

>> I agree that Facebook's real-name policy renders this rather
>> pointless. If you're a Chinese dissident, how does it help to
>> circumvent GFW and hide your location when you reveal your real name?
>

> 	If you are a 'chinese dissident' why would you bother posting on
> 	facebook anyway?

Because all the cool dissidents are on Facebook, of course ;) Because
GFW blocks Facebook, so it must be cool. And because there aren't
government censors deleting your daring posts. More or less :)

>> I used to have a Facebook account, but it disappeared when I couldn't
>> provide a working number for text verification :(
>

> 	Well, truth be told, it seems to be possible to register
> 	accounts from argentina without giving any real information.
> 	Then again, I've done that using my local ISP, not a proxy.

Well, that's because they know who and where you are :)