Re: [tor-talk] Socks5 and msmtp

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Leandro Noferini
<lnoferin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>>> I use msmtp + socat and they works fine together with a tor relay.
>>
>> Those of you saying you're using socat to allow msmtp to speak to
>> a SOCKS server... can you post an example of your invocation/config?
>
> socat -d -d -d -lu TCP4-LISTEN:2526,fork SOCKS4A:localhost:realsmtp.net:587,socksport=9050
>
> now what you need is to point your mua to localhost:2526 as smtp server.
> It works.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that would break TLS since msmtp sees localhost as CN
in its config and the cert CN says realsmtp.net. socat might be able to do that
TLS settings, but then there is not msmtp <-> realsmtp end2end TLS, only
socat <-> realsmtp, and msmtp doesn't know its results. And it requires managing
a separate daemon for each account provider user wants to send mail to. And
SOCKS4/4A doesn't work with IPv6.

Seems like msmtp having its own internal transparent SOCKS5 capability
would solve those issues. Right?