Re: A Server-oriented Incognito?

On Tuesday 09 October 2007, Andrew Del Vecchio wrote:
> Hey all,
>     I was just checking my mail and a (presumably) new Tor user had
> e-mailed me regarding one of my Tor articles on MPAssetProtection.com,
> a privacy related site. The essence of his question was whether or not
> it was possible to create a portable flash-drive Tor implementation
> that could be used to serve content. I explained to him how to go
> about doing this manually, which is something of a pain, especially
> for newbies. This got me thinking:
>
> What if someone developed a server-oriented version of Incognito that
> was designed to me remotely accessed, and thus had only the bare
> essentials to do various hidden services and act as an OR?
>
> This can probably be very easily done. No, I don't have the time or
> desire to do it myself (I'm in my last year of college plus work, and
> I'm NOT a CS major [Polisci]) ;)
>
> Hopes this spawns something creative.

Here's a stab at it.

Download:
http://files1.cjb.net/incognito/incognitotiny-i686-r12006M.iso

The description of how to do it is at the following link, search for "Hidden
Service"
https://tor-svn.freehaven.net/svn/incognito/trunk/root_overlay/usr/share/incognito/readme.html

The implementation details are in the following script:
https://tor-svn.freehaven.net/svn/incognito/trunk/root_overlay/etc/init.d/hidden-service

Note that this solution ONLY serves static content via the lighttpd web
server. No IRC, CGI, PHP, Wiki, etc. I really don't think you'd want to do
this.

--
Pat Double, pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Ye must be born again." - John 3:7