Re: A Server-oriented Incognito?

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Marco Bonetti wrote:
> On Thu, October 18, 2007 12:26, Pat Double wrote:
> > https://tor-svn.freehaven.net/svn/incognito/trunk/root_overlay/usr/share/
> >incognito/readme.html
>
> I was taking a look at the listed packages: why do you ship FireGPG
> firefox extension?

Someone requested it and I did not see a reason not to.

> it's not yet an officially accepted mozilla extension and last avalaible
> version has some nasty issues:
> + it phones home at firefox startup, it's a user configurable behaviour
> but nevertheless I'll double check for proxy usage (I'm pretty sure it
> will honor ff settings but you should take a look nevertheless)

I saw this and it is configured on Incognito to not do that. Also, doesn't
matter if it honors the proxy settings as the kernel redirection will ensure
all traffic goes through Tor.

> + it doesn't use the well tested enigmail javascript IPC to call external
> programs (on windows it even uses a binary only program called hidden
> start[1])

Is that a problem for security or anonymity? Incognito is not using Windows,
so some hidden binary doesn't seem to be a concern.

--
Pat Double, pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Ye must be born again." - John 3:7