Re: Wikipedia & Tor & ... moderators?

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 07:40:32PM -0400, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> So, we block them.  But I don't like this.  I want there to be ways for
> people who have genuine privacy needs to be able to edit Wikipedia.

I presume you're already subscribing to RBL IP lists for blog spammers
and similiar, to increase rank classification as new edit as potential
spam, requiring explicit human approval before inclusion. If you're not
yet using them, you should.

If you're using them, you can just add Tor exit points into your
RBL subscription, in the unlikely case they are not already there
(trust me, they will be there).

As long as Tor doesn't support pseudonyms, and prestige accounting
there won't be a better way. Anonymity by definition is associated
with zero prestige. Current Tor is designed for anonymity, not
pseudonymity. A hidden trusted server could be used as a hack to
implement pseudonyms and prestige tracking. This would not scale,
and be easy to DoS, however.

If it is not to be a hack a distributed cryptographic filestore
need to be added to the Tor client. It would require nym prestige
to prevent floods. This is not easy to get right.

I hope I'm being clear. From your comments, I'm having the
impression we're talking orthogonally to each other.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>