Re: [pygame] two soundcards

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 20:04 +0200, Georg Bernhard wrote:
> we want to play sounds on 4 channels, 'positioning' a sound in a room.
> It is an art project in vienna, austria, we consider an installation
> with quadrophonic sound. we have samples of sounds, as wav or mp3. our
> system would pick one of the sounds (randomly) and pan it around in the
> room by changing the volume of each channel.

Pygame isn't quite ready for this, I think the OpenAL suggestion would
be a better lead.

If you are set on using Pygame, it will require a bit of work. I'd use
ALSA to link the two sound cards into a single sound device. SDL
recently added support for 4-channel audio, but it will require a small
tweak to the Pygame api to pass in the right values. From there, I'm not
sure how the panning would work. SDL_mixer includes a stereo panning
filter, but I don't think it handles more that 2 channels?